Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pirate Storytime

September 19th is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. In honor of this most wonderful of observations, we had a pirate storytime!


Songs, Rhymes and Fingerplays

The Ship on the Waves
(tune: The Wheels on the Bus)
The ship on the waves goes rock, rock, rock
Rock, rock, rock – rock, rock, rock
The ship on the waves goes rock, rock, rock.
On the deep blue sea.

Other verses: The pirates on the ship sing Yo-ho-ho…..
The wind in the sails goes swish, swish, swish….

10 Little Pirates Raise the Sail
1 little, 2 little, 3 little pirates
4 little, 5 little, 6 little pirates
7 little, 8 little, 9 little pirates
10 little pirates raise the sail!

The Day I went to Sea
(suit actions to words)
When I was one, I sucked my thumb
The day I went to sea.
I jumped aboard a pirate ship
And the captain said to me
We're going this way, and that way
And forward and backward
Across the deep blue sea.
When I was two, I tied my shoe...
When I was three, I scraped my knee...
When I was four, I shut the door...
When I was five, I learned to dive...

Pirate, Pirate
Pirate, pirate turn around
Pirate, pirate touch the ground
Pirate, pirate show your shoe
Pirate, pirate that will do
Pirate, pirate reach up high
Pirate, pirate wink an eye
Pirate, pirate slap your knees
Pirate, pirate sit down please

Two Little Pirates
Two Little pirates sailing on a ship
One named Chuck and one named Chip
Sail away Chuck, sail away Chip
Come back Chuck and come back Chip

Over the Waves
Over the waves (Make waves with hands)
With his boat and his oar (row)
One little pirate came to shore (Hold up one finger)
He buried his treasure deep in the sand (Pretend to dig)
Got back in his boat, and left the land (Place finger(s) on cupped hand (boat). )

I’m A Pirate
(tune: If You’re Happy & You know it)
I’m a scary pirate on my ship! Argh! Argh!
I’m a scary pirate on my ship! Argh! Argh!
I will sail to each new place with this scary looking face
I’m a scary pirate on my ship! Argh! Argh!

….silly…happy…angry

Books:
Bloom, S. Treasure
Fox, C. Pirate Piggy Wiggy
Mitton, T. Once Upon a Tide
Peck, J. Pirate Treasure Hunt
Shaw, N. Sheep on a Ship
Thomson, N. Pirates, Ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment