Monday, November 4, 2013

Dia de los muertos


Dia de los Muertos is a Mexican festival which celebrates people that we love (including those that have passed away).  During the storytime, we focused on the symbols of the skeleton and marigold.  We were lucky enough to share a storytime in Spanish and English. 

Literacy Tip: Ask your baby or toddler questions as you read books. Even if she does not have the words to answer, she learns that questions are invitations for her to respond.

Open, shut them (Open both hands and then make a fist)
Open, shut them Give a little clap, clap, clap (Clap hands together)
 Open, shut them, open, shut them,
Put them in your lap, lap, lap (put hands in lap)
Creep them, crawl them, creep them, crawl them.
Right up to your chin, chin, chin.(creep hands to chin)
Open wide your little mouth but do not let them in, in, in.(open mouth wide and hide hands behind back)
Open, shut them.  Open, shut them. (open both hands)
Give a little clap, clap, clap. (clap hands together)
If ready for storytime, (hold hands out) Ready for storytime.
 Put them in your lap, lap, lap (Fold hands in lap)


Skeletons leave the grave and enjoy stories, dancing and feasting.


Cuando el reloj marca la una / When the clock strikes one,
 los esqueletos salen de la tumba. / the skeletons come out of the grave.
 Cuando el reloj marca las dos / When the clock strikes two,
los esqueletos toman el Sol. / the skeletons sunbathe.
 Cuando el reloj marca las tres / When the clock strikes three,
 los esqueletos toman el té. / The skeletons drink tea.
Cuando el reloj marca las cuatro / When the clock strikes four,
 los esqueletos se abrochan los zapatos. / the skeletons tie their shoes.
Cuando el reloj marca las cinco / When the clock strikes five,
 los esqueletos pegan un brinco. / the skeletons jump.
 Cuando el reloj marca las seis / When the clock strikes six,
 los esqueletos se ponen el jersey. / the skeletons put on their sweaters.
 Cuando el reloj marca las siete / When the clock strikes seven,
 los esqueletos se pegan un cachete. / the skeletons slap their cheeks.
 Cuando el reloj marca las ocho / When the clock strikes eight,
 los esqueletos se comen un bizcocho. / the skeletons eat cake.
 Cuando el reloj marca las nueve / When the clock strikes nine,
los esqueletos ya no se mueven. / the skeletons don’t move any more.
 Cuando el reloj marca las diez / When the clock strikes ten,
 los esqueletos ya no se ven. / The skeletons are no longer seen.

Ten Little Marigolds
One little, two little, three little marigolds.
Four little, five little, six little marigolds.
Seven little, eight little, nine little marigolds.
Ten little marigolds for me.


Grandma Beetle needs just a minute before leaving with Senor Calvera


Skeleton Pokey
You put your hand bones in.
You take your hand bones out.
You put your hand bones in and you shake it all about.
 You do the skeleton pokey and you turn your self around.
That’s what it’s all about.
(manos *hands*, pie *foot*, cabeza *head*, estomago *stomach*, body *cuerpo* )

If You’re Wearing… (Tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb)
If you’re wearing red today, red today, red today
If you’re wearing red today, please stand up!
Blue, Please clap your hands,
Green, please touch your ears,
Yellow, please stand on one leg,
Black,  please  rub your tummy,
White, please jump up and down,
Holding a color, wave it at me

Shake My Sillies Out

I’m gonna shake, shake, shake my sillies out.
Shake, shake, shake my sillies out.
Shake, shake, shake my sillies out.
 And wiggle my wobbles away.

 I’m gonna clap, clap, clap my crazies out.
Clap, clap, clap my crazies out.
 Clap, clap, clap my crazies out.
 And wiggle my wobbles away.

 I’m gonna jump, jump, jump my jigglies out.
Jump, jump, jump my jigglies out
 Jump, jump, jump my jigglies out
 And wiggle my wobbles away.

I’m gonna yawn, yawn, yawn my sleepies out.
Yawn, yawn, yawn my sleepies out.
 Yawn, yawn, yawn my sleepies out.

 And wiggle my wobbles away.
Repeat first verse

Goodbye Song
Now it's time to say goodbye to all our friends, "Goodbye!" (clap hands to beat and wave during 'goodbye')
Now it's time to say goodbye to all our friends, "Goodbye!"
Now it's time to say goodbye,
Wave your hands, Wink your eye,
Now it's time to say goodbye to all our friends, "Goodbye!"
Sang to the tune of “She’ll be Coming Round the Mountain”

No comments:

Post a Comment